Monday, November 26, 2012

Our Nature Adventures: Duluth in Winter

I have been writing to you with my thoughts on the importance of outdoor play for children of all ages, but maybe I have left something out.  You could read my posts here and wonder if I am spending all of my time online writing about being outside while I sit inside in my comfortable office chair not practicing what I preach.

Yes, it is something that I have to consciously decide when it is 8 degrees like today (it will soon be much colder here in MN) and when I am working to finish a project for a client or for grad school it is pretty hard to take a break and take a walk, but I deeply believe that taking those pauses to get outside and simply breathe will help me to be a better mom, student, worker as well as for the health of my child.

Recently, my family and I got the chance to take part in a wonderful example of how wonderful time spent in the outdoors can be, even in the winter months and after dark.  My husband and I for our 5th wedding anniversary decided to take a weekend away up in Duluth, MN which is one of our favorite getaways.  Since both of us grew up in SW Michigan, we are used to having the Great Lakes easily accessible, and although it is farther away, Duluth is our most convenient access to one of the Big Lakes.

Because Noah is a pretty important result of our marriage, and because he would love the event that we were heading to, we made it a family anniversary weekend.  The beauty of the waves, and the way that the city is perched almost ludicrously on the steep hills heading down to the frigid lake, these are all reasons why we love the city.  Another reason is because it is a place that seems to get it.  It would be pretty hard not to understand the importance of nature with it impacting such a large amount of your economy.

While we were there we took the opportunity to enjoy one of the quirky events that makes this town so wonderful-- The Bentlyville Tour of Lights.  While not strictly an activity geared toward nature (in fact, some animals were probably frightened away by the 157 foot LED laden Christmas Tree) but as one tours the lights it quickly becomes apparent that the event is working hard to make sure that people enjoy their time outdoors in the night air.

There are numerous free snacks, from popcorn to cookies and cocoa, but as one walks to the farthest point of the tour, they are met with warm fires blazing and complimentary marshmallows and sticks to roast your own treat.  This detail may seem small, but the act of adding in the extra sensory experiences of the smell of the fire and taste of the lightly browned sugary treat in the midst of the cold and light of the fire and decorations adds something wonderful to the experience.  The strategic placement of fires as well as the warming house nearby show a care and thought for the experience of families looking to spend time outside in the winter months that I really love. 

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.